AUC Geographica (Acta Universitatis Carolinae Geographica) is a scholarly academic journal continuously published since 1966 that publishes research in the broadly defined field of geography: physical geography, geo-ecology, regional, social, political and economic geography, regional development, cartography, geoinformatics, demography and geo-demography.
AUC Geographica also publishes articles that contribute to advances in geographic theory and methodology and address the questions of regional, socio-economic and population policy-making in Czechia.
Periodical twice yearly.
Release dates: June 30, December 31
All articles are licenced under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International licence (CC BY 4.0), have DOI and are indexed in CrossRef database.
AUC Geographica is covered by the following services: EBSCO, GeoBibline, SCOPUS, Ulrichsweb and Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ).
The journal has been covered in the SCOPUS database since 1975 – today
The journal has been selected for coverage in Clarivate Analytics products and services. Beginning with V. 52 (1) 2017, this publication will be indexed and abstracted in Emerging Sources Citation Index.
The journal has been indexed by the Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education (MSHE) on the list of scientific journals recommended for authors to publish their articles. ICI World of Journals; Acta Universitatis Carolinae, Geographica.
Scopus Journal Metric
The journal is archived in Portico.
Expression of regional identity in urban toponomy of major Kosovar cities
zveřejněno: 04. 03. 2022
This paper presents the model of identity research using the street names from five major Kosovar cities. The purpose of this research is to demonstrate the fact that identity in the urban environment can be determined through the analysis of street names, to uncover the difference in the presence of hodonyms that express regional identity from those that express national identity, and to investigate the presence of urban toponyms of international importance. This paper also aims to examine the relationship between regional identity and ethnic and religious structure, as well as to identify the role of historical-political circumstances at the level of the manifestation of regional identity. We found that the regional identity has been expressed more deeply compared to the national and international hodonyms, which have a lower representation. Although regional hodonyms dominated in all cities that were analyzed, there were differences in the representation of regional hodonyms which were related to personalities, events, or geographical objects that belong to the respective city or surroundings.
Klíčová slova: identity; region; names; streets; geography
1. Albertini, M. (2012): Kosovo: An Identity between Local and Global. Ethnopolitics Papers no. 15, https://www.psa.ac.uk/sites/default/files/page-files/EPP015_0.pdf.
2. Azaryahu, M. (1997): German reunification and the politics of street names: the case of East Berlin. Political Geography 16(6), 479-493. CrossRef
3. Azaryahu, M. (1986): Street names and political identity: The case of East Berlin. Journal of Contemporary History 21(4), 581-604. CrossRef
4. Bucher, S. Matlovič, R. Lukáčová, A. Harizal, B. Matlovičová, K. Kolesárová, J. Čermáková, L. Michalko, M. (2013): The perception of identity through urban toponyms in the regional cities of Slovakia. Anthropological Notebooks 19(3), 23-40, http://www.drustvo-antropologov.si/AN/PDF/2013_3/Anthropological_Notebooks_XIX_3_Bucher.pdf.
5. Crang, M. (1998): Cultural Geography. London and New York: Routledge.. CrossRef
6. Crljenko, I. (2008): Expression of Identity in Urban Toponymy of the Towns in Kvarner and Istria. Croatian Geographical Bulletin 70(1), 67-89. CrossRef
7. Culcasi, K. (2011): Cartographies of supranationalism: Creating and silencing territories in the "Arab Homeland". Political Geography 30(8), 417-428. CrossRef
8. Drozdzewski, D. (2014): Using history in the streetscape to affirm geopolitics of memory. Political Geography 42, 66-78. CrossRef
9. Leighly, J. (1978): Town names of colonial New England in the West. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 68(2), 233-248. CrossRef
10. Giménez, G. (2005): Territorio e identidad. Breve introducción a la geografía cultural. Trayectorias 7(17), 8-24, https://www.redalyc.org/pdf/607/60722197004.pdf.
11. Guy, N. C. (2008): Linguistic boundaries and geopolitical interests: the Albanian boundary commissions, 1878-1926. Journal of Historical Geography 34(3), 448-470. CrossRef
12. Jukopila, D. (2017). Medjimurje - razine prostornog identiteta pogranicne tradicijske regije, (PhD Thesis), University of Zagreb, 221.
13. Keating, M. (1988). State and Regional Nationalism: Territorial Politics and the European State. London: Harvester Wheatsheaf.
14. Kosova, monographic survey (2011): Kosovar Academy of Sciences and Arts, 2011.
15. Paasi, A. (2002). Place and region: regional worlds and words. Progress in Human Geography 26(6), 802-811. CrossRef
16. Paasi, A. (2003): Region and place: regional identity in question. Progress in Human Geography 27(4), 475-485. CrossRef
17. Raitz, K. (1973): Ethnic settlements on topographic maps. Journal of Geography 72(8), 29-40. CrossRef
18. Rose-Redwood, R., Alderman, D., Azaryahu, M. (2010): Geographies of toponymic inscription: new directions in critical place-name studies. Progress in Human Geography 34(4), 453-470. CrossRef
19. Settlements of Kosova: Lexicon (2018): Kosovar Academy of Sciences and Arts, 2018.
20. Šabić, D., Pavlović, M. (2007): Regionalna svest i regionalni identitet. Zbornik Radova 55, 151-158.
21. Šakaja, L. (2003): Imaginativna geografija u hrvatskim ergonimima. Hrvatski geografski glasnik 65(1), 25-43. CrossRef
22. Vresk, M. (1997). Uvod u geografiju: razvoj, struktura, metodologija. Udžbenici Sveučilišta u Zagrebu: Školska knjiga.
23. Zelinski, W. (1988): Nation into State: The Shifting Symbolic Foundations of American Nationalism. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press.
Expression of regional identity in urban toponomy of major Kosovar cities is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
210 x 297 mm
vychází: 2 x ročně
cena tištěného čísla: 200 Kč