Acta Universitatis Carolinae Iuridica (AUC Iuridica) is a legal journal published since 1955, which presents longer essays as well as short articles on topics relevant for legal theory and international, European and Czech law. It also publishes works concerning current legislative problems.
Although intended primarily for domestic audience, AUC Iuridica is useful also for foreign experts, who can take advantage of summaries in foreign languages (English, German and French) and key words, which are systematically added to the main articles and essays.
The published articles are subject to peer reviews. If necessary, reviewed texts are sent back to the author for revision.
AUC Iuridica accepts contributions from any contributor on any current legal topic.
The journal is registered in the Czech National Bibliography (kept by the National Library of the Czech Republic) and in the Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals (kept by the American Association of Law Libraries).
The journal is archived in Portico.
Čtrnáctý dodatek Ústavy USA a jeho výklad z pohledu hlavních interpretačních metod
[The Fourtheenth Amendment to the United States Constitution and its Interpretation by Main Constitutional Interpretive Methods]
announced: 12. 03. 2021
The paper analyzes the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, especially its first section and the clauses contained in it: the citizenship clause, the privileges or immunities clause, the due process clause and the equal protection clause and the historically variable interpretation of those by the Supreme Court, the decisions of which often accounted for fundamental changes in the perception of the provisions of the Fourteenth Amendment. Quite frequently, it was the Supreme Court that stood behind the significant social changes throughout history, whether in the area of racial segregation that still lasted for many years in the United States even after the end of the civil war, or later in the area of the right to privacy. The paper also deals with the approach of the dominant methods of interpretation to the Fourteenth Amendment, it compares the different approaches and the resulting interpretative conclusions. A special attention is dedicated to the contradictory interpretations of the originalist theory and the Living Constitution theory, the conflict between the advocates of these two lasting until today and still constituting an important part of the constitutional law debate in the United States.
keywords: Constitution of the United States; Fourteenth Amendment; Supreme Court; interpretation
1. BORK, R. H. The Tempting of America: the Political Seduction of the Law. New York: Touchstone, 1991.
2. BREST, P. The Misconceived Quest for the Original Understanding. Boston University Law Review [online]. 1980, Vol. 60 [cit. 2020-09-11]. Dostupné na: https://heinonline.org/HOL/Page?.
3. Čtrnáctý dodatek Ústavy Spojených států amerických.
4. DUNCAN, R. F. Justice Scalia and the Rule of Law: Originalism vs. the Living Constitution. Regent University Law Review [online]. 2016-2017, Vol. 29, No. 1 [cit. 2020-09-11]. Dostupné na: https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1200&context=lawfacpub.
5. ELY, J. H. Democracy and Distrust: a Theory of Judicial Review. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2002.
6. FARBER, D. A. Legal Pragmatism and the Constitution. Minnesota Law Review [online]. 1988, Vol. 72 [cit. 2020-09-11]. Dostupné na: https://scholarship.law.umn.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2083&context=mlr.
7. Great inaugural addresses: Abraham Lincoln's two speeches. In: National Constitution Center [online]. 18. 1. 2017 [cit. 2020-09-11]. Dostupné na: https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/great-inaugural-speeches-abraham-lincoln.
8. HAMILTON, A.- MADISON, J.- JAY, J. The Federalist Papers. Londýn: Penguin Books Ltd., 1987.
9. KUST, J. Nejvyšší soud USA. Praha: Ústav práva a právní vědy, o. p. s., 2013.
10. LASH, K. T. The Privileges or Immunities Clause and Unenumerated Rights. Law & Liberty [online]. 21. 3. 2019 [cit. 2020-09-11]. Dostupné na: https://www.lawliberty.org/2019/03/21/the-privileges-or-immunities-clause-and-une- numerated-rights/.
11. MCGINNIS, J. O.- RAPPAPORT, M. B. Originalism and the Good Constitution. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2013. CrossRef
12. National Archives [online]. [cit. 2020-09-11]. Dostupné na: https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Madison/04-03-02-0333.
13. PULLIAM, M. Leaving Lochner Behind. Law & Liberty [online]. 7. 8. 2017 [cit. 2020-09-11]. Dostupné na: https://lawliberty.org/leaving-lochner-behind/.
14. SCALIA, A. A Matter of Interpretation: Federal Courts and the Law. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1997.
15. SELTENREICH, R.- KUKLÍK, J. Dějiny angloamerického práva. 2. vyd. Praha: Leges, 2011.
16. The Bicentennial Speech. In: Thurgood Marshall [online]. 2019 [cit. 2020-09-11]. Dostupné na: http://thurgoodmarshall.- com/the-bicentennial-speech/.
17. Ústava Spojených států amerických.
Čtrnáctý dodatek Ústavy USA a jeho výklad z pohledu hlavních interpretačních metod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
230 x 157 mm
published: 4 x per year
print price: 65 czk