Právněhistorické studie / Legal History Studies (Charles University journal; below referred to as PHS or Journal) is a scientific journal listed in the international prestigious database SCOPUS. The journal is published by Charles University in Prague under the guarantee of the Department of Legal History of the Faculty of Law of Charles University. It is published by the Karolinum Press. The journal focuses on the field of legal history and related topics.
Issue 1 of the Journal was published by the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences Publishing in June 1955. The Journal was initially published by the Cabinet of Legal History of the Czechoslovak Academy of Science (CSAV), later by the Institute of State and Law (CSAV) and then by the Institute of Legal History of the Faculty of Law of Charles University.
PHS is issued three times a year in April, August, and December and it presents original scientific works/papers as well as reviews, annotations and news from the scientific field of legal history. It also introduces annotated texts of a legal history nature. PHS accepts manuscripts from domestic as well as foreign authors. Manuscripts submitted by foreign authors are published in original language, namely in English, Slovak, German, French, Italian or Polish.
PHS (ISSN 0079-4929) is registered in the Czech national ISSN centre (supervised by the State Technical Library). The Journal is registered by the Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic according to Act No. 46/2000 Sb., on Rights and Liabilities for the Publishing of Periodicals and Change of Some Acts (Press Act), and it is allocated with registration number of periodical press MK E 18813.
PHS is an open journal and ensures open access to scientific data (Open Access). The entire content is released as open to the public on the web pages of the journal.
The journal is archived in Portico.
Goethe – báseň i právo
[Goethe – Poetry and Law]
published online: 25. 07. 2023
The author deals in his article with the relation of the famous German poet J. W. Goethe towards the law. First, he depicts his legal studies in Leipzig and Strasbourg which were finished with the formulation of the thesis which helps us to learn about his opinions on some important legal problems of that time. After this the author makes us familiar with Goethe’s short working in the role of the counsel in native Frankfurt and much longer activity of office holder in Weimar duchy. Here his career advancement and the problems J. W. Goethe met at this occasion are analysed. The following part of the text is devoted to the problematics of the contract between Faust and Mephistopheles from the legal point of view. At the end of the article the author finally deals with some Goethe’s opinions on the political and mainly to the state law related matters of his time.
keywords: Goethe; Strasbourg’s thesis; Weimar duchy; Faust; contract
1. GOETHE, J. W. Faust. Praha: Státní nakladatelství krásné literatury a umění, 1965.
2. GOETHE, J. W. Z mého života. Báseň i pravda. Praha: Mladá fronta, 1998.
3. LANDSBERG, E. - KOHLER, J. Fausts Pakt mit Mephistopheles in juristischer Beleuchtung. In: LÜDERSSEN, K. (ed.). Die wahre Liberalität ist Anerkennung. Baden-Baden: Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft, 1999, s. 70-87.
4. MÜLLER-DIETZ, H. Goethe und die Todesstrafe. In: LÜDERSSEN, K. (ed.). Die wahre Liberalität ist Anerkennung. Baden-Baden: Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft, 1999, s. 15-41.
5. NÖRR, D. Geist und Buchstabe: Ein Goethe-Zitat bei Savigny. In: LÜDERSSEN, K. (ed.). Die wahre Liberalität ist Anerkennung. Baden-Baden: Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft, 1999, s. 123-147.
6. OGRIS, W. Goethe - amtlich und politisch. In: LÜDERSSEN, K. (ed.). Die wahre Liberalität ist Anerkennung. Baden-Baden: Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft, 1999, s. 271-314.
7. PAUSCH, A. - PAUSCH, J. Goethe-Zitate fῡr Juristen. Köln: Verlag Dr. Otto Schmidt, 1996.
8. RADBRUCH, G. Literatur- und kunsthistorische Schriften (Gesamtausgabe Band 5). Heidelberg: C. F. Müller Verlag, 1997.
9. VOLLHARD, R. Wer hat die Wette gewonnen? In: LÜDERSSEN, K. (ed.). Die wahre Liberalität ist Anerkennung. Baden-Baden: Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft, 1999, s. 89-97.
10. ZWEIG, S. Der Kampf mit dem Dämon. Frankfurt am Main: Fischer, 1981.
Goethe – báseň i právo is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
240 x 170 mm
periodicity: 3 x per year
print price: 250 czk