Acta Universitatis Carolinae Kinanthropologica (AUC Kinanthropologica) is an international peer reviewed journal for the publication of research outcomes in the humanities, the social sciences and the natural sciences, as applied to kinathropology. It is a multidisciplinary journal accepting only original unpublished articles in English in the various sub-disciplines and related fields of kinanthropology, such as Anthropology, Anthropomotorics, Sports Pedagogy, Sociology of Sport, Philosophy of Sport, History of Sport, Physiology of Sport And Exercise, Physical Education, Applied Physical Education, Physiotherapy, Human Biomechanics, Psychology of Sport, Sports Training and Coaching, Sport Management, etc. The journal also welcomes interdisciplinary articles. The journal also includes reports of relevant activities and reviews of relevant publications.
The journal is abstracted and indexed by CNKI, DOAJ, EBSCO, ERIH PLUS, SPOLIT, SPORTDiscus, and Ulrichsweb.
A comparison of service efficiency between players of male and female doubles at professional tennis tournaments
Jan Carboch, Tomáš Kočíb
announced: 16. 02. 2016
Male and female players have a different quality of service. For example, men can reach a higher service speed, or use more ball spin. Tennis service has also a different efficiency on different surfaces. Every surface has specific characteristics and has different effects on ball impact and ball bounce. The aim of our study was to compare the amount of service points won between male and female players in men’s and women’s doubles at ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals) and WTA (Women Tennis Association) tournaments on three different surfaces. We observed a total of 303 matches. Matches were played on clay, hard and grass courts. With the help of match records, we found that men won around 10% service points more than women. Results indicate that women’s doubles matches show greater differences in performance between opponents. Men also need to win more service points than women, to win a match. Fast surfaces provide a greater advantage for serving teams, both for men and women. The lowest serve efficiency was reached on clay (slow surface) both in the men’s and women’s doubles.
keywords: tennis; serve; surface; men; women; ATP; WTA
1. Black, W. & Van de Braam, M. (2012). The modern game of doubles: a tactical perspective. ITF coaching and Sport Science Review, 56(20), 13–14.
2. Carboch, J. (2007). Taktika a trénink čtyrhry mužů a žen v tenise. In: Landa, P. & Šmídová, J. (Eds.) Sport a věda 2007. Sbornik mezinárodní studentské vědecké konference Věda v pohybu pohyb ve vědě. Prague, 11. April 2007. Prague: UK FTVS, 9–11. (In Czech)
3. Cayer, L. (2004). Doubles tennis tactics. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics. PubMed
4. Crespo, M. & Miley, D. (2002). Tenisový trenérský manuál 2. stupně: pro vrcholové trenéry. Olomouc: Univerzita Palackého v Olomouci. (In Czech)
5. Cross, R. & Pollard, G. (2009). Grand Slam men's singles tennis 1991–2009 serve speeds and other related data. ITF Coaching and Sport Science Review, 16(49), 8–10.
6. Dunlop, J. I. (2000). Characterizing the service bouncing using a speed gun. In: Haake, S. J. & Coe, A. (Eds.) Tennis Science & Technology. Oxford: Blackwell Science, 183–190.
7. Filipčič, A., Caks, K. K. & Filipčič, T. (2011). A comparison of selected match characteristics of female tennis players. Kinesiologia Slovenica, 17(2), 14–24.
8. Filipčič, T., Filipčič, A. & Berendijas, T. (2008). Comparison of game characteristics of male and female tennis players at Roland Garros 2005. Acta Universitatis Palackianae Gymnica, 38(3), 21–28.
9. Gillet, E., Leroy, D., Thouvarecq, R. & Stein, J. F. (2009). A notational analysis of elite tennis serve and servereturn strategies on slow surface. Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 23(2), 532–539. ITF (2012). ITF Rules of tennis 2012. London: ITF Ltd. CrossRef PubMed
11. Katić, R., Milat, S., Zagorac, N. & Durović, N. (2011). Impact of game elements on tennis match outcome in Wimbledon and Rolland Garros 2009. Collegium Antropologicum, 35(2), 341–345. PubMed
12. Kleinöder, H. (1997). The return of serve. In: ITF Special Newsletter – Edition on Biomechanics.
13. Kleinöder, H. (2001). The return of serve. ITF Coaching & Sport Science Review, 2, 5–6.
14. Kočíb, T. & Matějka, J. (2008). Taktika a herní pojetí tenisové čtyrhry u dorostu a dospělých. In: Dovalil, J. & Chalupecká, M. (Eds.) Současný sportovní trénink: sborník příspěvku z konference. Prague, 23. January 2008. Prague: Olympia, 151–155. (In Czech)
16. Protennislive (2014). ATP WTA official live scores web application [online]. Retrieved 29. October, 2014 (last access) from http://www.protennislive.com/LSHD/main.html?year=2015&wkno=99&eventid=&tour=1&lang=en&ref=http://www.atpworldtour.com.
157 x 230 mm
published: 2 x per year
print price: 190 czk